St. Francis Episcopal Church
History of St. Francis Church

St. Francis Church was organized in October 1954 as a mission of Holy Trinity Parish. The first service was held in Irving Park Elementary School in November 1954, with 104 people attending. A Charter Scroll was signed in the Octave of Epiphany 1955, at which time 180 baptized people formally transferred their membership to the new mission. Construction of the church building began in July 1955, the cornerstone was laid in October, and the first service was held on Christmas Day in 1955. St. Francis became an independent parish in union with the Diocese of North Carolina in 1956. The assistant rector of Holy Trinity, the Rev. Peter Robinson, became the first rector and served for 20 years.

St. Francis Church St. Francis Church St. Francis Church


Day School The St. Francis Day School was founded in 1964. The Day School provides a preschool experience in a faith-centered environment that nurtures children spiritually, intellectually, socially, and physically as it prepares them to be engaged students and good citizens.
Book Sale The St. Francis Book Sale was started in 1958 and is one of St. Francis’ prominent community programs. The three-day sale has grown each year to enlist almost 200 volunteers! Throughout the year donated books are collected and classified for the public sale. The proceeds go to local outreach programs.
Blessing of the Animals Each year St. Francis Church invites the Greensboro community to celebrate the Blessing of the Animals honoring the Feast of St. Francis on the first Sunday of October.

We embrace the values of our namesake, St. Francis, and take them to heart: Simplicity. Compassion. Hope.

St. Francis Church

We practice these values internally, as we support and minister to the families of our congregation, Day School and Youth Ministry.

Equally important, these values are evidenced in our Outreach Ministries and activities. We care about the community in which we live and work to make it a better place for all.

Events




Contact Us | Home | Change Text Size Plus Minus
©2010 Copyright - All Rights Reserved - St. Francis Episcopal Church
3506 Lawndale Drive • Greensboro, NC 27408 • Phone: (336) 288-4721